Thomas Dudley has been manufacturing in the UK since the company’s inception in 1920.
Having previously helped to develop and manage foundries across the UK, Mr Thomas Dudley set up his own business, half a mile from our current Head Office. In 1934, the land was acquired and the foundry relocated to its current site on the Birmingham New Road.
In 1936, Thomas Dudley sailed on the Queen Mary’s maiden voyage to America and visited a number of foundries to help formulate his vision for the future of the company.
By the 1950s, the foundry was producing a wide range of products including cast iron WC cisterns. However, following a number of harsh winters, we began factoring frost-resistant heavy-duty rubber cisterns. This move paved the way for the plastics division which started to manufacture plastic injection moulded models shortly afterwards.
As the foundry expanded, we invested heavily in mechanised plant and installed seven automated moulding lines between 1966 and 1988. Between 1969 and 1971, a new building was also erected to house the plastics division and our existing office block was completed.
Strategic acquisitions also saw Masefield-Beta, McDonald Diecasting, Waterfit and Rugby Plastics join Thomas Dudley and in 2020 all Thomas Dudley plumbing businesses merged to create Tyde, a market leading business supplying over 6,000 plumbing products. A great way to celebrate Thomas Dudley’s 100th year!
Today, Thomas Dudley is a hugely successful manufacturing business, employing around 500 people and generating turnover exceeding £50 million.